IP address is not assigned on Windows Server Instance when I launch the Instance after the Instance has been stopped. Why does it occur and what should I do?
It might occur when customer reboot(including reboot by HA function) Windows Server Instance. (Displaying as “Duplicate”, and IP address might be 169.254.x.x of auto configuration address)
This event might occur DAD(Duplicate Address Detection) function of Windows OS when DHCP of logical network is set OFF.
(due to colliding between DAD function and position confirmation frame of logical network)
If this event has occurred, you can resolve this by the following procedures.
- Configure the interface address on Windows OS again.
- Reboot Windows OS(Guest OS)
And, the following 2 methods are the workaround for this event.
*)The 1st method(Enable to DHCP function on logical network) is recommended rather than the 2nd method( In case it needs to disable to DHCP function on logical network, customer should configure static IP address and disable to DAD function on Windows OS.) because the 2nd method is expected to only decrease possibility of this event (i.e. this event might be occur even if execute the 2nd method).
1. Enable to DHCP function on logical network
(You can specify IP address even if DHCP on logical network is enabled. We recommend to enable to DHCP on logical network unless customer has any specific reason to use customer’s own DHCP server.)
2. In case it needs to disable to DHCP function on logical network, customer should configure static IP address and disable to DAD function on Windows OS.
(Reference) How to disable to DAD function on Windows OS
- Access to search box from Start menu, input "regedt32" on search box and execute enter.
- Click "HKEYLOCAL MACHINE" on Registry Editor
- Click System→CurrentControlSet→Services→TcpIp→Parameters
- Right-click Parameters, and click New→DWORD(32-bit)Value
- Delete "New Value #1", and input "ArpRetryCount"
- Double-click "ArpRetryCount", and input "0" on Value date
(Note) Disabling DAD function will interfere with the operation of the failover cluster. In the environment using a failover cluster, please enable DHCP for Logical Network, delete the ArpRetryCount setting,