Arcserve - FAQ
- Would it be necessary to uninstall Backup agent software before transferring from Backup to Arcserve?Arcserve, ECL2.0
Yes. In general, because there is a possibility that conflicts may occur with commonly used functions such as VSS, we recommend that you uninstall the backup agent software in advance.
Reference: Tutorials - Backup - Deleting a Client / Uninstall Agent Software
- In Arcserve menu, how long can I contact the Arcserve software support desk?Arcserve, ECL2.0
You will not be able to contact Arcserve's software support desk at the time the deleting procedure is completed (when the status becomes "Deleted") after applying the deleting of the Arcserve menu.
Reference: Tutorial - Delete Application method of Arcserve License
- The OS does not start up with the intended volumes after the restore.Arcserve, ECL2.0
In Redhat Enterprise Linux environment, when you restore a virtual machine which has multiple volumes by using CentOS-based recovery media (*), there is a case the OS does not start with the intended root volume after the restore even if the restore was successful.
In this case, please confirm the following points.
(※) Customized CentOS-based recovery media, which is not standard Linux-based recovery media created during installing Arcserve (UDP_Agent_Linux-LiveCD.iso).
(1) How to connect volumes to the restore instance.
As described in the configuration guide, the procedure for connecting multiple volumes to the restore instance is implemented by CLI command. If you connect the volumes from the portal GUI screen, there is a possibility that the volumes will be connected in the unintended order. So you should not connect multiple volumes to the restore instance by GUI operation.
(2) When the size of the volume differs between the backup volume and the restore volume. When using Arcserve UDP 6.5
Even if you connect multiple volumes to the restore instance by CLI operation, when the size of the volume differs between the backup volume and the restore volume, there is a possibility that the boot area will be restored to the unintended volume. Please do the following tasks according to the version you use.
Please update to "Arcserve UDP 6.5 update 2" and carry out the procedure of  below.
<Upgrade Arcserve UDP Agent (Linux)>
http://documentation.arcserve.com/Arcserve-UDP/Available/V6.5/ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/Agent%20Online%20Help%20Linux/default.htm#AgentforLinuxUserGuide/udpl_upgrade_d2d_linux.htm  When using Arcserve UDP 6.5 update 1 or update 2
Check the following URL, apply the patch, recreate CentOS-based recovery media and restore again.
<arcserve-KB : [Solution] Can not restore to the intended disk as design in Linux BMR with Centos Based LiveCD>
- On the ECL2.0, can I use the Arcserve license which I purchased from another vendor company?Arcserve, ECL2.0
There is no restriction on you to use your BYOL license which you purchased from another vendor company.
But as we didn't verify all of BYOL license, please use your BYOL license after verifying the license by yourself.
Regarding our verified products and usage methods, please refer to the following site.
Arcserve Solution Guide
In addition, please note that if you use your BYOL license and you would like to contact to Arcserve technical support, you need to contact via another vendor company or directly to Arcserve.
And when using it, it is necessary to satisfy the following conditions.
Available countries and regions except for ECL2.0 regions to use license for migration to ECL2.0
- I would like to know the license type of Arcserve.Arcserve, ECL2.0
For more information on how to choose Arcserve license type, please refer to the tutorial (Reference information) License key type according to usage.
- Can I use Arcserve licenses on another server that I already used on one server?Arcserve, ECL2.0
License can be installed once on OS.
You cannot use a used license for another server.
Service Description - Arcserve - Important Notice Prior to Use
- How to cancel Arcserve menu?Arcserve, ECL2.0
Refer to the tutorial below.
- Where should I keep a backup data when using Arcserve?Arcserve, ECL2.0
- Backup with Arcserve UDP 6.5 fails in Linux environment on Virtual Server.Arcserve, ECL2.0
When Arcserve UDP 6.5 is used in the Linux environment on the Virtual Server, the event that acquisition of backup rarely fails has been confirmed. As confirmed by us, it seems that the connection against the metadata service of Virtual Server occurs when Arcserve backup job was executed, and the backup job failed due to this connection.
Customers should take following actions.
Backup with Arcserve UDP 6.5 in Linux environment on Virtual Server.
The cause should exist in the connection specification against the metadata service of Virtual Server, which has been added from Arcserve UDP 6.5.
We confirmed that the backup job is successfully completed with this connection shut-off.
We are requesting to Arcserve that they confirm and improve this issue.
When you launch the backup job, you should shut off the connection against the metadata service following below procedure.
(Connection against the metadata service occurs only at instance startup, so even if this action is done, there is no impact on connection against the metadata service)
- How to shut off the connection against the metadata service.
#sudo iptables –A OUTPUT –d 169.254.169.254 –j DROP
- How to resume the connection against the metadata service.
#sudo iptables –D OUTPUT –d 169.254.169.254 –j DROP
Please note that iptables setting is initialized when the instance is restarted and the shut-off setting is erased.
In addition, Arcserve UDP 6.5 has the pre-script function that automatically executes commands before running the backup job. For details, please refer to the product manual.
- I would like to know how to export activity log from Arcserve UDP when I run Arcserve UDP backup.Arcserve, ECL2.0