Arcserve - FAQ
- I cannot upgrade Arcserve License from V6 to V6.5 or over on Arcserve menu.Arcserve, ECL2.0
When any underscore "_" is included in domain name or server name of the server using V6, you cannot upgrade it to V6.5 or over. As a solution, you can select either of below options.
1. Change domain name or server name.
2. Use Arcserve UDP V6.5.
Please refer to below page for the details.
https://arcserve.zendesk.com/hc/ja/articles/115003189646 (Japanese only)
- On Arcserve Menu, can I terminate V6 before applying for V6.5 or later?Arcserve, ECL2.0
- How do I prepare the upgrade file for the Arcserve menu without an Internet connection?Arcserve, ECL2.0
Internet connection is required to download the upgrade file. If you do not have Internet connection, please download the upgrade file according to the following method.
1. Enable connection to the Internet by changing settings such as FW.
Please make sure that the network to which the server to be upgraded is connected is temporarily ready for Internet connection by changing settings such as FW (*), and download the upgrade file.
2. Use an NW that can connect to the Internet, or create a new NW that can connect to the Internet.
Download the upgrade file on a server connected to the Internet-enabled NW, and place the upgrade file on the server to be upgraded by file sharing, etc.
(*)If you change settings such as FW, the connection information of Arcserve as the download source is as follows.
-Download source server name: downloads.arcserve.com
-Port number used for download: 443 (HTTPS)
If additional resources are added by the Internet connection or file sharing, additional costs will be incurred.
- When I newly apply for V6.5 or later on Arcserve menu, will V6 be removed at the same time?Arcserve, ECL2.0
- Is it possble to use V6 and V6 or later together on Arcserve menu?Arcserve, ECL2.0
Please find the below conditions for using V6 and V6 or over together.
OS Agent single-use UDP (management) console use Windows 〇 〇 Linux 〇 ×
Upgrade to V6.5 is necessary for UDP console.
When you register UDP console, regardless of versions, the license keys for the number of the agents are necessary.
If you use V6 and V6.5 together, please create a V6.5 recovery (BMR) media.
- How long is Arcserve "V6" available?Arcserve, ECL2.0
Arcserve "V6" is available until Tue 7/31/2019, which is the end date of offer.
By the end of offer, please upgrade your version to V6.5 and apply for the termination of V6.
In addition, if you do not apply for the termination by the end date of offer, we will carry out the termination on that date. V6 application is not available, so please uninstall it from the server.
- Would it be necessary to uninstall Backup agent software before transferring from Backup to Arcserve?Arcserve, ECL2.0
Yes. In general, because there is a possibility that conflicts may occur with commonly used functions such as VSS, we recommend that you uninstall the backup agent software in advance.
Reference: Tutorials - Backup - Deleting a Client / Uninstall Agent Software
- The OS does not start up with the intended volumes after the restore.Arcserve, ECL2.0
In Redhat Enterprise Linux environment, when you restore a virtual machine which has multiple volumes by using CentOS-based recovery media (*), there is a case the OS does not start with the intended root volume after the restore even if the restore was successful.
In this case, please confirm the following points.
(※) Customized CentOS-based recovery media, which is not standard Linux-based recovery media created during installing Arcserve (UDP_Agent_Linux-LiveCD.iso).
(1) How to connect volumes to the restore instance.
As described in the configuration guide, the procedure for connecting multiple volumes to the restore instance is implemented by CLI command. If you connect the volumes from the portal GUI screen, there is a possibility that the volumes will be connected in the unintended order. So you should not connect multiple volumes to the restore instance by GUI operation.
(2) When the size of the volume differs between the backup volume and the restore volume. When using Arcserve UDP 6.5
Even if you connect multiple volumes to the restore instance by CLI operation, when the size of the volume differs between the backup volume and the restore volume, there is a possibility that the boot area will be restored to the unintended volume. Please do the following tasks according to the version you use.
Please update to "Arcserve UDP 6.5 update 2" and carry out the procedure of  below.
<Upgrade Arcserve UDP Agent (Linux)>
http://documentation.arcserve.com/Arcserve-UDP/Available/V6.5/ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/Agent%20Online%20Help%20Linux/default.htm#AgentforLinuxUserGuide/udpl_upgrade_d2d_linux.htm  When using Arcserve UDP 6.5 update 1 or update 2
Check the following URL, apply the patch, recreate CentOS-based recovery media and restore again.
<arcserve-KB : [Solution] Can not restore to the intended disk as design in Linux BMR with Centos Based LiveCD>
- Backup with Arcserve UDP 6.5 fails in Linux environment on Virtual Server.Arcserve, ECL2.0
When Arcserve UDP 6.5 is used in the Linux environment on the Virtual Server, the event that acquisition of backup rarely fails has been confirmed. As confirmed by us, it seems that the connection against the metadata service of Virtual Server occurs when Arcserve backup job was executed, and the backup job failed due to this connection.
Customers should take following actions.
Backup with Arcserve UDP 6.5 in Linux environment on Virtual Server.
The cause should exist in the connection specification against the metadata service of Virtual Server, which has been added from Arcserve UDP 6.5.
We confirmed that the backup job is successfully completed with this connection shut-off.
We are requesting to Arcserve that they confirm and improve this issue.
When you launch the backup job, you should shut off the connection against the metadata service following below procedure.
(Connection against the metadata service occurs only at instance startup, so even if this action is done, there is no impact on connection against the metadata service)
- How to shut off the connection against the metadata service.
#sudo iptables –A OUTPUT –d 169.254.169.254 –j DROP
- How to resume the connection against the metadata service.
#sudo iptables –D OUTPUT –d 169.254.169.254 –j DROP
Please note that iptables setting is initialized when the instance is restarted and the shut-off setting is erased.
In addition, Arcserve UDP 6.5 has the pre-script function that automatically executes commands before running the backup job. For details, please refer to the product manual.
- I would like to know how to export activity log from Arcserve UDP when I run Arcserve UDP backup.Arcserve, ECL2.0