3.4. OS License¶
- NTT Communications provides OS licenses as its own service, based on a contract signed under Microsoft’s SPLA license agreement and subscriptions as its own service, based on an agreement with Red Hat.
3.4.1. Available Features¶
|Provision of an OS license||A feature for using an OS license to run Windows or Linux on a Virtual Machine in Compute Resource.|
|Provision of a Public Catalog||A feature that uses a template of the OS-installed Virtual Machine to provide the above license.|
|OS License Switching*||The function to switch the OS license of a Virtual Machine to SPLA provided by NTT Communications when the customer uses a template of Virtual Machines created on a local server etc. to create a Virtual Machine in the Enterprise Cloud Service|
3.4.2. Provision of an OS License¶
|Microsoft OS license||
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Japanese/English
WindowsServer 2012 Standard
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
|Red Hat subscription||Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5/6Japanese/English keyboard layout||64bit version|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7 English keyboard layout||64bit version|
|Open Source OS||CentOS 6 English keyboard layout||64bit version|
|Ubuntu 14 English keyboard layout||64bit version|
- When you use OS License, you can use the “software access” and “software maintenance” features from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux software subscription. Please follow the instructions from NTT Communications regarding the procedure and access method for using these features.
3.4.3. Provision of a Public Catalog¶
- A Microsoft OS license and Red Hat subscription are only provided for a Virtual Machine created using the provided template (called a “Virtual Machine created with OS License” below).
- Template (Including Open Source OS) can be available only in Data Center which was created. Please don’t use it in another Data Center.
- When you use the template to create a Virtual Machine, you can use the OS-installed Virtual Machine immediately.
- Templates exist for each Data Center and are stored in the Public Catalog, which can be accessed by all users of that Data Center.
3.4.4. OS License Switching¶
- Before using OS License Switch, import the virtual server image created by the customer on a local server etc. to a private catalog.
- After using OS License Switch, delete the template imported to the private catalog.
- The customer is asked to refer to the guidebook provided by NTT Com to activate the license of the Windows Server.
- The target of the support in this service is the virtual servers installed based on the license of the VL (Volume License) version.It is necessary that the default gateway of the virtual server be set to vFirewall/integrated network appliance. In any other cases, this service is not available.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Japanese/English 64 bit version
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Japanese/English 64 bit version
- Windows Server 2008 Standard Japanese/English 64 bit version/32 bit version
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Japanese/English 64 bit version/32 bit version
- Windows Server 2012 Standard Japanese/English 64 bit version
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Japanese/English 64 bit version
3.4.5. Important Points¶
- OS License does not include monitoring and operating services for the OS. This service supports initial settings, initial Log-In to the Server, and OS License authentication.
- NTT Communications does not provide support (investigations, assistance, or advice) for requests from users regarding troubleshooting procedures for errors relating to installation, setup, or basic functionality that you encounter for licensed products that you are using in OS License.
- When using programs provided in OS License, it is assumed that you agree with the Services Provider Use Rights (SPUR) when using Microsoft products, or the Red Hat Enterprise Agreement when using Red Hat products. For details, refer to the following URLs.
- Information required for installation, such as activation key or subscription number, cannot be disclosed directly to users in writing or by any other means.
- After Microsoft and Red Hat support has ended, OS License service support will be not provided.
You can install the following Microsoft products on a Virtual Machine created with OS License.
- Products that you have permission to use on a shared server
When using Complete Memory Dump, you need at least “the Memory assigned to the Virtual Machine + 300 MB” of available space on the drive on which the dump files are created.
Regarding the License Certification for Windows Server 2012 Standard and Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
Customer needs to adjust the time by using NTP server. License will not be activated if there is a lag between the Server time and the actual time.
- The default gateway of the Virtual Machine needs to be set on the vFirewall.If customer will set the default gateway on other than vFirewall, they would have to set by static routing. Global IP Address is being used as a host for license activation, but the transmission itself is closed with NTT Com platform and it will never go out to the Internet. For more details on the static routing, please contact the technical help desk individually.
To use Windows Update Internet access environment is needed.
- OS license does not provide users with RHN login ID information for logging in to the Red Hat Customer Portal (formerly known as the Red Hat Network).
- If you want to install optional software that includes a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription, please use the yum interface for installation.
- We provide rpm package distribution repository server (Red Hat Update Infrastructure, here after RHUI). To update the package of Red Hat Enterprise Linux using yum interface, the following conditions are required.
- The Virtual Server is created from public template including setting of RHUI.
- The default gateway of the Virtual Server is set to vFirewall or Integrated Network Appliance. If there is no connecting route to RHUI, such as when changing the default gateway, please add route information. For detail of setting, refer to Chapter 5.3 Server Segment, section “DNS and default gateway settings” of this volume and separate volume “Functional Description (IP Address)”.
- Using the global IP address of Internet Connectivity menu of this service. When the system uses Colocation Interconnectivity or is connected to Enterprise Cloud 2.0 service, if the global IP address is from another carrier or Enterprise Cloud2.0 yum update is not available (including our other service,for example OCN or GIN and so on). We restrict access of IP address for each Data Center.
- “yum update” is available for only the Base repository packages. The packages besides those aren’t registered with a repository additionally by NTT Communications. The other package cannot be added by NTT Communications.
- However if the Virtual Server is created from the public catalog including RHUI setting, the following repository packages are available.
Following is public catalog template list including setting of RHUI.
- 115 red hat enterprise linux 6.2 64bit keytype jp or later
- 001 RedHatEnterpriseLinux 7.1 x64 key us
- 012 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.8 64bit Keytype JP (When using Extended Life cycle Support option)
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server - RH Common from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (5Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server - RH Common from RHUI (RPMs) (5Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server from RHUI (RPMs) (5Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server - Optional from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (6Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server - Optional from RHUI (RPMs) (6Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server - RH Common from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (6Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server - RH Common from RHUI (RPMs) (6Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (6Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server from RHUI (RPMs) (6Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Optional from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (7Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Optional from RHUI (RPMs) (7Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - RH Common from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (7Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - RH Common from RHUI (RPMs) (7Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server from RHUI (Debug RPMs) (7Server-x86_64)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server from RHUI (RPMs) (7Server-x86_64)|
- Internet access environment is needed to execute “yum update”. However, for only VPN Connectivity user in Japan Saitama No.1, Yokohama No.1, Kansai1, Singapore Serangoon, Hong Kong Tai Po, Thailand Bangna, Malaysia Cyberjaya3, and Australia Sydney1 Data Center can do “yum update”.
- Implementation of package version up (i.e. ver6.2 to 6.5) which executed “yum upgrade” is not supported.
- Internet access environment is needed to access repository server.
- See “3.3.Private Catalog” to create a template of virtual servers.
- After creating a Virtual Machine at a target of OS License Switch process in the Enterprise Cloud Service, do not execute Power ON.
- OS License Switch does not execute Sysprep. If you want to execute Sysprep, remake a template from the virtual server after the processing of OS License Switch. Use the template to create a virtual server. Before its execution, access the Customer Portal and click on “Change SID” for a startup.
- If the customer wants to make application for the processing of OS License Switch for a virtual server that is turned on (Power ON) before the processing of OS License Switch or for a Virtual Machine already running, the customer needs to check the operation in advance before turning off (Power OFF) the Virtual Machine and needs to make application. While NTT Communications is working on, the Guest OS customization is executed. For the details, see About “Guest OS Customization”.
- Using licensed products or subscription products provided through OS License outside of the cloud environment specified by NTT Communications.
- Using the Customer Portal features to create and save another template of the Virtual Machine image, using the export feature to store the template outside of the NTT Communications cloud environment, creating a new Virtual Machine based on that file, and running licensed products or subscription products that have been provided by NTT Communications.
- Duplicating and using the software without notifying NTT Communications.
- Using OS License to duplicate the image of the Virtual Machine that you are running and then running it as another Virtual Machine without changing the registration information and without notifying NTT Communications.